Monday, January 17, 2011

The Rise and Rise of Languages….

Hey chaps! Hope Monday sees you well, but I guess most of you, especially the first years in SOSC and related faculties have already been greeted with a rude shock…

Yep, it’s real. French and Igbo languages have been added to the aforementioned schools’ curriculum in place of Engineering Drawing, which has been sacrificed. In a Technology college? They might just cordon off those faculties and call it an Evan Enwerem University Extension! Amazing! Didn’t we have enough of these languages in secondary school? Or has some bigshot wiseguy politician decided that his ward needs to have less to worry about than carry engineering boards around? I must confess, when I heard a rumor about this change during the holidays, I obviously did not believe it. It sounded like a huge joke, but now it’s probably a nightmare. And believe me, from initial responses from most students, it’s obvious that boys are not smiling. On the comic side of things, I’m just wondering how those guys who used engineering drawing assignments as a method to get close to their “prey” would cope. They’d have to completely revamp their strategy, I think. But how? I’d give you one tip: Learn French, it’s supposed to be the language of love. The only snag is you’d probably have to teach the babe too, lol!

Anyway, lectures are in a hectic full swing right now and the campus is finally abuzz with activities, which is good to see. And it’s also particularly gratifying to welcome the new completed buildings (and the uncompleted ones too). I guess BCH peeps would be smiling long and hard at their new building which has a surprising unique entrance. Well done indeed, VC. EVT students may have to wait an extra semester or two before their building gets done though, although it seems to be taking shape fairly quickly. And could somebody tell me what those buildings on your way outta school through the back gate are for? Cos I’ve asked around and everybody seems to be oblivious to the fact that there are building projects going on there. Maybe cos of the new road, everyone’s just flying past.

Talking about the road, I think some form of safety precautions should be implemented as soon as possible. Accidents have already started occuring as predicted. I think speed bumps are in order, though they ought to have been built when the reconstruction was going on, not long after. We want to get to our lecture halls not just on time, but also in one piece, thank you very much. It’d be sheer madness if a road that we’ve been expecting for so long suddenly turns from a blessing to a curse.

Finally, am I the only one who’s noticed the constant rise in the Acceptance fee?

Laterz….

No comments:

Post a Comment