Monday, March 29, 2010

The HIV scare....

Ok apparently we have a serious health crisis on our hands. 47% of first years infected with HIV? Now that’s a serious statistic. Which by my opinion is a bloody lie and a cheap way to instill fear into the minds of students and try to deter them from vices like sexual immorality. Or some concerned politician is scared that his daughter might lose her virginity to some randy folks before she writes her first paper. As if. But before you start jumping into conclusions, let’s review a few things.

First, imagine you were a Jambite, and you walked into the Medical Center for your first ever health check on campus, and they tell you they have to take your blood to check for your blood type and other necessities. Then you hear weeks later that there’s a survey that says that almost one in every two jambites that did the same blood test is HIV positive. Wouldn’t you panic, and feel bruised that your privacy has been invaded? I mean, ain’t that scary enough to get some UNICEF guys on the scene? This is a youth environment; the possibility of such infection spreading if it was actually true is staggering. I don’t know about you, but if it was actually true, I think I’d try n confirm if I am one of the fortunate ones. But to think the university feels it okay to just announce such news and expect it not to incite a sense of uneasiness in everyone is just pure ignorance. I was walking along with some friends yesterday on our way to Sunic, and we passed a young girl just near the FCMB ATM trying her best to run away from some guys who were apparently making fun of her. It was obvious she was a jambite, her shoulders were drooping so low from hoisting Engineering Maths and Anusiem textbooks in her knapsack all day. And yeah, she looked geeky, that always makes things much more obvious. So back to the gist, my friends and I got up close and realized that the boys had already assumed she was HIV positive and were throwing jibes at her because of it. How annoying, I must say. Which brings me to this point: why make a public announcement of something that’s best kept private? I don’t think I’d like my doctors telling the whole world I’m HIV positive, or I have cancer. Let me tell those who I’d want to know. Condemning a whole group of students is just like smearing them with DO NOT TOUCH stickers. Which is not fair at all. Now everyone’s preaching fidelity. It takes a disease as common as HIV to get everyone to behave themselves, right? But trust them FUTO boys, they don’t care. And why should they? They use condoms, don’t they? And besides, disease no dey kill Africa man, abi?

Anyway, on to some more less death inducing gist. Arsenal fans mournfully announce the death of their favorite club, Arsenal FC of England, who, by all accounts, is going to be Messilessly slaughtered by the giant dictator from Spain, Barcelona FC. Burial takes place on Wednesday at its home, Emirates Stadium at Ashburton Grove, England, GB by 7:45pm Nigerian time. She ain’t survived by nobody. Signed, Arsene Wenger, longtime Manager and greatest maga in the footballing world. Ok, so I lied about the death inducing gist part, lol. But it’s a pity, as soon as I heard Arsenal was going to play Barca, it was like someone had driven a 10 inch nail into the heart of every loyal Arsenal fan. Sorry folks, maybe next time. Work on those new junior staff quarters building units has apparently stopped for no real reason at all. Word is that work was so frantic before cos they were trying to get them commissioned during the convocation. When they realized they couldn’t make it, the contractors must’ve gone back to sleep. They had better finish it and hand it over for use before vandals decide to have a field day. And I’m not even going to talk about Futo-Ihiagwa road again. I could actually bet with anyone who wants to that that road will not be repaired in the next 3 years. Any takers?

And that’s about it, folks. Sorry I’ve been really epileptic with my posts. My internet service provider’s almost charging me in millions and I still haven’t found any maga who’s willing to pay, lol.

Laterz.

No comments:

Post a Comment